ART CONTEST SPONSORED BY THE WILDLING MUSEUM
- Eligibility: Open to all artists in any wall-hung media, 18 years or older
- Deadline for Entries: Thursday, Monday, May 20, 2019, on www.callforentry.org, Applications close at 11:59 PM in Mountain Time Zone (Denver, CO, USA) on the deadline date
- Exhibit Opening: Wildling Museum Main Gallery on Saturday, July 20, 2019 3-5PM, 1511-B Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463
- Cash prizes: First, second, and third place winners announced at the opening
The Wildling Museum of Art and Nature is pleased to announce its second juried exhibition – “Celebrating the National Lands of California” – a showcase of fine art inspired by National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, and Recreation Areas located within the state of California. This show will take place July 20, 2019 – January 20, 2020, at the Wildling Museum in the first-floor gallery. Cash prizes totaling $4,000 for the first, second, and third place will be awarded at the opening reception on Saturday, July 20, 2019 from 3:00 to 5:00 pm.
“Celebrating the National Lands of California” is a juried exhibit. Artists may submit digital images of their works online at www.callforentry.org for the jury selection process. The fee for entry is $35 for the first image and $20 for each additional entry; limit three entries per artist. Wildling Museum members are entitled to a 15 dollar discount on the entry fee. For further information on how to submit images and to pay the fee, go to www.callforentry.org. If you are new to the CaFÉ™ website, you will need to register for an account before you can apply for this call. To apply, click here or visit www.callforentry.org and go to “Find Calls” found in the top 1/3 of the page and next type in the search field “Celebrating the National Lands of California” and press enter. Finally click “apply to this call.”
Celebrating the National Lands of California” will artistically present National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, and Recreation Areas located within the state of California. National Parks include: Channel Islands, Death Valley, Kings Canyon & Sequoia, Joshua Tree, Lassen Volcanic, Pinnacles, Redwoods, and Yosemite. National Monuments include: Cabrillo, Santa Rosa, and San Jacinto, Devils Postpile, Muir Woods, Carrizo Plain, Lava Beds, Fort Ord, Giant Sequoia, Sand to Snow, San Gabriel Mountains, Mojave Trails, Castle Mountains, Berryessa Snow Mountain, and California Coastal. National Preserves include: Mojave and Point Reyes. National Recreation Areas include: Golden Gate, Santa Monica Mountains, and Whiskeytown.
The goal of this exhibit is to bring awareness to the wealth of national lands to be found in California and to celebrate and discuss wildness, nature, and preservation. It is also to provide an opportunity for artists to display their work, and for the public to view and purchase the art. “Celebrating the National Lands of California” is the second such exhibition and competition organized by the Wildling Museum of Art and Nature.
The exhibit will be held at the Wildling Museum, 1511-B Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463 from July 20, 2019 – January 20, 2020. Artists and the public are invited to attend an exhibit opening reception to be held Saturday, July 20, 2019, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Work must be your own original artwork, not created under an instructor’s supervision or copied from any other artwork by any other artist.
- Only wall-hung pieces are accepted.
- Artist agrees to permit the Wildling to reproduce the accepted artwork for Wildling publicity and documentation purposes.
- For tips on how to best photograph and submit images, click on the “Help” link at www.callforentry.org.
- Delivered work must match the image juried. No substitutions of accepted works will be allowed.
- Artwork must be in suitable condition for hanging. Artworks that arrive damaged or dirty or with scratched glass or acrylic or unsuitable hanging hardware may be eliminated from the show and the Wildling is in no way responsible for correcting these deficiencies.
- All accepted work must remain in the gallery for the duration of the exhibit.
- Prices quoted on the entry form may not be changed after acceptance.
- SIZE RESTRICTIONS: Work must not exceed 48 inches maximum, including frame, in any dimension.
- Each artwork will be delivered to the show ready to hang, including hanging wire and or D-rings. Be sure that the highest part of the hanging wire is at least 1-1/2 inches from the top of the frame so that the hanging hardware will be hidden from view behind the frame. Wiring must be in good condition and substantial enough for the weight of the artwork. No saw-tooth hangers.
- Submitted work should be correctly oriented (vertical or horizontal).
All paintings shall be delivered with an attached label specifying:
- Artist Name
- Artwork Title
- Artwork Size
- Sales price
- The National Land where the scene is located (list above)
- In addition, print the artist name on the back of the artwork so that we can identify the painting in the event the label is inadvertently detached.
Prizes and Awards:
Three cash awards will be announced at the exhibition opening:
- First prize of $2,500
- Second prize of $1,000
- Third prize of $500
Winners will be considered for acquisition into the Wildling’s permanent collection upon Board approval with the cash prize to be considered full financial consideration for the artwork.
All exhibited works will be included in an online gallery.
Revenue from Sales: Revenue from sales will be distributed as follows – 60% to the artist, 40% to the Wildling. Artworks are encouraged to be for purchase. If necessary, work may be listed as NFS, but no “price on request.”
- Monday, May 20, 2019 – final day to submit digital images and pay jurying fee www.callforentry.org
- Thursday, June 13, 2019 – artists notified of acceptance or rejection
- Monday, July 1, 2019 – Friday, July 12, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Deliver your juror-accepted and ready-to-hang artwork(s) to the Wildling Museum, 1511-B Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463.
- Saturday, July 20, 2019, from 3:00 to 5:000 p.m. – Show opening reception at the Wildling Museum, 1511-B Mission Drive, Solvang, CA 93463. The show continues through close of day January 20, 2020.
- Tuesday, January 21, 2020 – Thursday, January 23, 2020, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Pick up your artworks from the Wildling.